Bezdomny ex Patria posted a translation for a Beijing News article that talks about the shrinking of the Aibi Lake here in Xinjiang. Good stuff.
Unfortunately, Xinjiang doesn’t have a good track record with lakes, the most recent extinction being the Lop Nor lake near the Taklamakan Desert and the Aiding Lake in Turpan. Hopefully things will fare better with Aibi.
UPDATE – Dec 2011: China and the World Bank have committed to investing $12.18 million US dollars to save this lake.
- Best VPNs for China 2019 (that still work despite the ban) - May 1, 2019
- Yili (Ili) Xinjiang | Top 5 Places to Visit - April 10, 2019
- Turpan’s Jiaohe Ancient City 交河故城 | Traveler’s Guide - April 3, 2019
- Urumqi Airport Traveler’s Guide 2019 (Xinjiang) - April 1, 2019
- Best China Visa Service for US Travelers - March 27, 2019
- Urumqi Train Travel 2019 Guide 乌鲁木齐站 - March 25, 2019
- Top 10 Uyghur Foods to Eat in Xinjiang - March 20, 2019
- How I Use Gmail in China (despite it being blocked) - February 14, 2019
- Do I Need a Special Visa or Permit for Xinjiang? - February 11, 2019
- How to Use Facebook in China in 2019 - February 7, 2019