Thanksgiving in Xinjiang has always been an adventurous occasion for my wife and me. One year was sadly spent at Pizza Hut in Urumqi after searching unsuccessfully for a traditional Thanksgiving meal; last year I actually walked around the city with a live turkey under my arm – a gift from one of my adult students who told me it was the only one within a 100km radius of the city.
I got an email today informing me that these experiences have now been immortalized in the form of a comic by MandMx. Besides the pleasure that comes from any site linking to FarWestChina – much less using it as an inspiration for a comic – I think anybody who has lived in China during a major holiday can relate in some way to this cartoon. Tomorrow I’m actually going to be pulling out an old Patriots-New England game my father-in-law recorded on DVD for me three years ago. It’s the same one I watched last year, but it just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without it.
And in case you’re curious, we did get a little turkey for this year’s Thanksgiving. A few government friends took us out to dinner last night and surprised us by having a turkey specially trucked in from Urumqi. I guess it’s one of the perks being the only two westerners in our district. They apologized because they cooked it the only way they knew how – like roast duck – but it was a wonderful treat anyway.
So wherever you’re at, even if you’re not American, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for taking time out of your day to keep up with what’s going on out here in the crazy province of Xinjiang.
- How to Travel from Urumqi to Kashgar - August 17, 2018
- Urumqi Train Travel 2018 Guide 乌鲁木齐站 - August 13, 2018
- How I Maintain a Facebook Page in China - August 10, 2018
- A Visit to Xinjiang’s Kanas Lake and Keketuohai - August 7, 2018
- Best VPNs for China in 2018 (that still work despite the ban) - July 31, 2018
- How I Use Gmail in China (despite it being blocked) - July 25, 2018
- Xinjiang Cuisine: 5 Must-Eat Foods (& How to Order Them) - July 23, 2018
- Traveling China’s Karakoram Highway | Traveler’s Guide - July 16, 2018
- Wucaitan: Xinjiang’s Five-Colored Hills | Traveler’s Guide - July 9, 2018
- Kashgar’s Iconic Id Kah Mosque | Complete Traveler’s Guide - July 2, 2018