Thanksgiving in Xinjiang has always been an adventurous occasion for my wife and me. One year was sadly spent at Pizza Hut in Urumqi after searching unsuccessfully for a traditional Thanksgiving meal; last year I actually walked around the city with a live turkey under my arm – a gift from one of my adult students who told me it was the only one within a 100km radius of the city.
I got an email today informing me that these experiences have now been immortalized in the form of a comic by MandMx. Besides the pleasure that comes from any site linking to FarWestChina – much less using it as an inspiration for a comic – I think anybody who has lived in China during a major holiday can relate in some way to this cartoon. Tomorrow I’m actually going to be pulling out an old Patriots-New England game my father-in-law recorded on DVD for me three years ago. It’s the same one I watched last year, but it just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without it.
And in case you’re curious, we did get a little turkey for this year’s Thanksgiving. A few government friends took us out to dinner last night and surprised us by having a turkey specially trucked in from Urumqi. I guess it’s one of the perks being the only two westerners in our district. They apologized because they cooked it the only way they knew how – like roast duck – but it was a wonderful treat anyway.
So wherever you’re at, even if you’re not American, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for taking time out of your day to keep up with what’s going on out here in the crazy province of Xinjiang.
- My Take: Top 5 Best VPNs for China (Updated May 2016) - April 14, 2016
- Fascinating Tradition of Uyghur Paper Making in Hotan - January 28, 2016
- Controversial “Karamay Bubble” No. 1 Oil Well - January 12, 2016
- Eating Uyghur Lamb Intestine in Xinjiang - December 10, 2015
- A Visit to Xinjiang’s Kanas Lake and Keketuohai - October 7, 2015
- Celebrating Qurban in Urumqi, Xinjiang - September 24, 2015
- Buzkashi Explained: Mysterious Rules & Traditions - September 19, 2015
- Exploring Tashkorgan and the Tajik - September 12, 2015
- Biking China’s Karakoram Highway Pt 1 - September 2, 2015
- Self-Publishing a Travel Guide: My Experience - June 3, 2015