Xinjiang’s been in the news a lot lately. In my Google Reader I’ve actually subscribed to any mention of the word “Xinjiang” in the global media, and it’s been lighting up today. I always hate it when that happens, because it’s not usually a good thing.
I’m especially sad when people use sensational words to make stories seem bigger than they are. For instance, as an alleged punishment for signing a very controversial document criticizing the Chinese government, one Beijing professor was exiled to Xinjiang to teach. Not demoted, exiled. Never mind that the city he was moved to (Shihezi) is quite large and modern – he was exiled. For info on the story you can find more here.
On the bright side there are a few good mentions of Xinjiang recently. The first is the success of a team of researchers who have been trying to capture Xinjiang snow leopards on camera. I’ve mentioned them before and have kept up with their blog as they’ve been over near Kashgar. I’m hoping they’ll post pictures soon.
The second is the recent travels of Lisa, a writer from California who was just out here in Xinjiang. Her latest story about traveling here by train is hilarious and worth a good read. I think want to start writing more story-based articles similar to that. They’re just fun.
So that’s about it for my random thoughts. I just got a review copy of the yet-to-be-released English translation of the Xinjiang-based English: A Novel and I can’t wait to post a review here in the coming month. Thankfully the weather is warming up a tad (translation: I’m preparing to pack away the long john’s for the year) and the blog – as far as I can tell – is still unblocked here in China. Good stuff.
- Travel Kashgar | What’s Worth Visiting - September 19, 2016
- Learning the Uyghur Dutar in Xinjiang - September 9, 2016
- What Should I Eat in Xinjiang? 10 Best Uyghur Food - September 2, 2016
- Kashgar Sunday Bazaar | Photos & Video - August 25, 2016
- Top 5 Turpan Travel Destinations to Explore - August 18, 2016
- How to Make Uyghur Bread from Xinjiang - August 5, 2016
- Cycling in Xinjiang | What You Need to Know - July 26, 2016
- Yili (Ili) Xinjiang | Top 5 Places to Visit - July 20, 2016
- Is the Internet Accessible in Xinjiang? XJ Q&A #3 - July 14, 2016
- Shipton’s Arch | World’s Tallest Arch - June 30, 2016