It’s been a long time in the making, but I’m excited to finally be able to share with you one of my favorite experiences living in Xinjiang – the Uyghur Wedding.
This entire week will be dedicated to this incredible Xinjiang tradition. It is a tradition like none other in China and if you ever have the opportunity to take part in one, I highly recommend it! I’ve had the privilege of attending many weddings in Xinjiang over the past few years and I have already written about my experiences taking part in a Chinese Wedding.
But much has already been written about Chinese weddings. Too much, probably. However, if you begin searching Google for information about a modernUyghur wedding you won’t find any decent material in English. I hope to change that.
Recently a good friend of mine and his fiancee invited me to take part in their wedding. It was an honor to be invited to the Uyghur wedding, but I was incredibly excited to learn that I was also invited to join the bachelor party, the parade, and the ceremony!
It was an experience I’ll never forget, and I hope to be able to give you a glimpse into some of the characteristics that make a Uyghur wedding so much different than a Chinese or Western wedding.
Introduction to a Uyghur Wedding
This series is divided into 4 parts:
- The Uyghur Bachelor Party
- The Uyghur Wedding Ceremony
- The Uyghur Wedding Parade
- The Uyghur Wedding Celebration
I hope I have been able to succinctly and accurately portray this part of Uyghur culture that not many people get to participate in. Please enjoy and I encourage all feedback, either through the comments section, on Twitter or on the Far West China Facebook page.
- What is the Largest Province in China? - July 3, 2019
- Best VPN for China 2019 (that still works despite the ban) - July 1, 2019
- Kashgar Sunday Bazaar | Photos & Video - June 26, 2019
- Yili (Ili) Xinjiang | Top 5 Places to Visit - April 10, 2019
- Turpan’s Jiaohe Ancient City 交河故城 | Traveler’s Guide - April 3, 2019
- Urumqi Airport Traveler’s Guide 2019 (Xinjiang) - April 1, 2019
- Best China Visa Service for US Travelers - March 27, 2019
- Urumqi Train Travel 2019 Guide 乌鲁木齐站 - March 25, 2019
- Top 10 Uyghur Foods to Eat in Xinjiang - March 20, 2019
- How I Use Gmail in China (despite it being blocked) - February 14, 2019