Gaochang Ruins in Turpan. Courtesy of Zara Arshad
It’s amazing to me that the crumbling mud walls of this ancient town outside Turpan was once a vibrant city along the Silk Road. Gaochang, also known in the local language as “Kharakhoja”, was once a capital of the region for both Han and Uyghur kingdoms.
Now the only people in the city are tourist discovering thousands of years of Xinjiang history. If you’ve never been to Turpan I highly suggest you take a trip, and before you go grab a copy of the free Turpan Travel Guide published by yours truly.
Also worth checking out are some of the other Xinjiang photos by photographer Zara Arshad. Her recent trip to the province has produced some beautiful shots of both landscape and people that you can view on her Flickr page. Gorgeous!
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
If you are interested in contributing a photo to FarWestChina’s Picture of the Week series, please contact me and send in your Xinjiang-related photo. All photos must be originals and will be credited to you and/or your personal website.
- Best VPNs for China 2019 (that still work despite the ban) - May 1, 2019
- Yili (Ili) Xinjiang | Top 5 Places to Visit - April 10, 2019
- Turpan’s Jiaohe Ancient City 交河故城 | Traveler’s Guide - April 3, 2019
- Urumqi Airport Traveler’s Guide 2019 (Xinjiang) - April 1, 2019
- Best China Visa Service for US Travelers - March 27, 2019
- Urumqi Train Travel 2019 Guide 乌鲁木齐站 - March 25, 2019
- Top 10 Uyghur Foods to Eat in Xinjiang - March 20, 2019
- How I Use Gmail in China (despite it being blocked) - February 14, 2019
- Do I Need a Special Visa or Permit for Xinjiang? - February 11, 2019
- How to Use Facebook in China in 2019 - February 7, 2019