Having lived in Xinjiang, China for a total of over 4 years now, and having recently rented my own apartment here in Urumqi, I thought it might be interesting to share with you a quick snapshot of the cost of living in Xinjiang as compared other parts of China, like Shanghai.
I hope to perhaps revisit this on an annual basis to chronicle the changes, as prices have gone up significantly since I first traveled here in 2006.
If you’re curious to know how much 2,500 RMB for rent is equal to in US Dollars or Euro at this moment in time (Nov 2013), the exchange rates are as follows:
- USD –> RMB = 6.09 (divide the numbers below by 6.09)
- EUR –> CYN = 8.24 (divide the numbers below by 8.24)
Enjoy, and if you have a blog of your own you can use the embed code below this to easily share this with your readers!
Cost of Living – Xinjiang vs Shanghai
- How to Teach English in Xinjiang, China (Updated 2018) - December 10, 2018
- Best VPNs for China in 2018 (that still work despite the ban) - December 1, 2018
- Understanding “Xinjiang Time” and China’s Two Time Zones - November 26, 2018
- Xinjiang in the Winter | Traveler’s Guide for What to See & Do - November 12, 2018
- Uyghur Customs | 26 Rules for Hosting or Being Hosted - October 29, 2018
- How to Rent a Car in China | Traveler’s Guide - October 22, 2018
- Karamay, Xinjiang | China’s Richest City - October 15, 2018
- 20 Best Xinjiang Books Reviewed & Ranked - September 25, 2018
- Buzkashi Explained: Mysterious Rules & Traditions - September 17, 2018
- Do I Need a Special Visa or Permit for Xinjiang? - September 10, 2018