It seems as though one of Xinjiang’s most popular tourist destinations is about to get a makeover. Kanas Lake, located in the northern tip of the Xinjiang province, is known by most people for its incredible natural beauty and a “Loch Ness”-like monster, but it might soon be home to a majestic new Kanas Lake theater as well.
While most Xinjiang news sites have remained silent about the project, the Kanas government website has alluded to the building of a cultural art center many times and Broadway Malyan, the company that was commissioned to design the building, claims that construction is slated to start in May of this year.
The multi-purpose theater will have 1,200 seats – significantly less than the 2,340 seats the government first planned but probably still more than they’ll need. Opera, dances, and cultural theater are expected to entertain the growing number of tourist that continue to flock to Kanas Lake.
Travel to Kanas Lake
Currently tourism to Kanas Lake is year-round and includes options to hike, backpack, snow ski, stay in yurts and many other activities. Of course, they are also building up 1st-class amenities which include great restaurants and comfortable hotels.
Kanas Lake is not exactly “easily” accessible, although that is changing every year. There is a nearby airport with flights to Urumqi and frequent buses that require at least 10 hours of travel from the capital (not exactly a quick ride). They’ve also opened up a train to a city not to far, but it takes about as long as a bus.
If you are going to travel to Xinjiang this summer and might take a trip to Kanas Lake, check out the site and let me know if construction has actually begun. Below are pictures of what it should look like and feel free to leave comments sharing your opinion on this new addition to the Kanas tourism offering.
Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 4)
Photos of the New Kanas Lake Theater
- Yili (Ili) Xinjiang | Top 5 Places to Visit - April 10, 2019
- Turpan’s Jiaohe Ancient City 交河故城 | Traveler’s Guide - April 3, 2019
- Urumqi Airport Traveler’s Guide 2019 (Xinjiang) - April 1, 2019
- Best VPNs for China 2019 (that still work despite the ban) - April 1, 2019
- Best China Visa Service for US Travelers - March 27, 2019
- Urumqi Train Travel 2019 Guide 乌鲁木齐站 - March 25, 2019
- Top 10 Uyghur Foods to Eat in Xinjiang - March 20, 2019
- How I Use Gmail in China (despite it being blocked) - February 14, 2019
- Do I Need a Special Visa or Permit for Xinjiang? - February 11, 2019
- How to Use Facebook in China in 2019 - February 7, 2019