There aren’t a whole lot of resources available for learning the Uyghur language, but if you are planning to live in Xinjiang someday you’re probably desperate for something. What kind of Uyghur textbooks are available?
So you’re thinking about learning Uyghur, eh? Perhaps you’ve already seen the FarWestChina Ultimate Guide to Learning the Uyghur Language and want to learn more about this particular textbook.
Late last year Georgetown University Press officially published Uyghur: An Elementary Textbook by Gulnisa Nazarova and Kurban Niyaz.
If you haven’t been able to watch the video review above, here’s a quick summary of my review.
Review of Uyghur: An Elementary Textbook
With over 540 pages and weighing in at around 3 pounds, Uyghur: An Elementary Textbook is by far one of the largest Uyghur textbooks I’ve come across.
The whole book is divided into 15 chapters that touch on the most basic of language topics (introduction, foods, weather, health, etc.) and is geared more towards the classroom than self-study.
I’ve spent almost a month with this textbook and here’s what I see as the various pros and cons:
- Pictures: Lots of colorful pictures of the Xinjiang province from various travelers
- Supplemental Materials: In addition to the lesson topics, each chapter also has various additional materials like Uyghur proverbs, historical notes and cultural context.
- Easy Grammar: explanations of the grammatical structures are simple to follow
- Relevant Examples: illustrations and exercises all have a Xinjiang or Uyghur flavor to them.
- Classroom Only: the book format doesn’t work well with self-study, although it could be possible to use it with a tutor
- Poor CD Quality: the CD that comes along with the book is disappointing. Bad audio and video quality. Also, the audio files aren’t downloadable to use with a mobile phone or mp3 player.
Despite a disappointing supplementary CD, Uyghur: An Elementary Textbook is beautifully laid out and is certainly one of the best tools available for beginners learning the Uyghur language. There’s no doubt this textbook will become the default Uyghur text in classrooms everywhere.
For those who need something to guide their one-on-one tutor time or teachers who are looking for a good textbook for their Uyghur class, this is an excellent resource.
- Best VPN for China 2019 (that still works despite the ban) - August 1, 2019
- Learn Uyghur | Ultimate Guide to Available Resources - July 24, 2019
- What is the Largest Province in China? - July 3, 2019
- Kashgar Sunday Bazaar | Photos & Video - June 26, 2019
- Yili (Ili) Xinjiang | Top 5 Places to Visit - April 10, 2019
- Turpan’s Jiaohe Ancient City 交河故城 | Traveler’s Guide - April 3, 2019
- Urumqi Airport Traveler’s Guide 2019 (Xinjiang) - April 1, 2019
- Best China Visa Service for US Travelers - March 27, 2019
- Urumqi Train Travel 2019 Guide 乌鲁木齐站 - March 25, 2019
- Top 10 Uyghur Foods to Eat in Xinjiang - March 20, 2019