Hundreds, if not thousands of foreigners have made appearances on CCTV, China’s state television network. It may not be a big deal for somebody who lives in Beijing, but for me – this being my first time ever to do live international television…
…it was a pretty big deal.
In July of this year, I was contacted by a senior producer at CCTV who was preparing to film a series on Xinjiang. He had heard about FarWestChina and wanted to meet.
Less than 3 weeks later, I was taking their crew of three men plus a couple of my own friends on a camel trek through Xinjiang’s Kumtagh Desert. It was a fun experience and when I said goodbye to the crew I thought that was the end.
To my surprise, however, once the mini-documentary on FarWestChina was finished, the producer called me and asked if I would be willing to fly out to Beijing for live studio interviews – all expenses paid. Who could say no to something like that?
FarWestChina on CCTV
For the sake of my own enjoyment and desire to record this interesting experience, I filmed a short “behind-the-scenes” video that will give you an overview of my four interviews in 48 hours.
Don’t miss awesome, weekly videos…subscribe to FarWestChina on YouTube!
When all was said and done, I ended up doing 4 interviews within 12 hours – three of them in the primary CCTV studios (the weird building that looks like a pair of trousers) and one interview at a satellite studio a couple kilometers away.
I was privileged to join News Hour, China 24, Culture Express and the news segment for CCTV America.
If you’re itching to know more about me or how Far West China originated, I’ve embedded the videos for each of the interviews below. Enjoy!
Josh’s CCTV Interviews – Oct 2016
My favorite interview was Culture Express, which was more informal and focused on the family/culture side of living in Xinjiang. You can view that interview here:
My “live cross” interview with CCTV-America in Washington D.C.:
My interview with News Hour, which was actually my first interview of the day.
Conclusion | CCTV Interviews
So now that my 15 minutes is up, I at least have some fun videos to help me relive the glory days. :)
I’d love to get your opinion – leave a comment below to let me know what you think!
- Xinjiang Street Food | Karamay Fried Yellow Noodles - November 3, 2016
- 10 Years in Xinjiang | CCTV Documentary - October 27, 2016
- FarWestChina’s Josh Summers on CCTV - October 19, 2016
- Travel Kuqa | What’s Worth Visiting? - October 13, 2016
- Prehistoric Porn in Xinjiang (Hilarious Petroglyphs!) - September 29, 2016
- Travel Kashgar | What’s Worth Visiting - September 19, 2016
- Learning the Uyghur Dutar in Xinjiang - September 9, 2016
- What Should I Eat in Xinjiang? 10 Best Uyghur Food - September 2, 2016
- Kashgar Sunday Bazaar | Photos & Video - August 25, 2016
- Top 5 Turpan Travel Destinations to Explore - August 18, 2016